Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:26:46 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        fredrik.carlen@telia.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports/packages

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 00:33:48 +0100, Fredrik Carlen wrote:

> All the packages that were available for the time of my version's release are
> on the CD's, but not necessarily the tarballs required to build the ports?

No.  The CD sets include all the distributable packages and all the
distributable distfiles.

> I tried to port lynx, and put all the even remotely lynx-looking
> tarballs into /usr/ports/distfiles/ , and then switched directory to
> /usr/ports/www/lynx/ and did 'make', but it still tried to fetch the
> tarball by ftp

Can't help you without the error output you got before it tried to fetch
the file remotely.  Look closely at the filename which the ports
mechanism expected, look closely at the location in which it expected to
find that file and look closely at your filesystem. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.