Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 18:14:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu (Annelise Anderson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS cache?

> I agreed in a moment of weakness to take over a small mailing list
> (about 200 names), using majordomo.  Outgoing mail to the list is
> rather slow (it takes maybe 20-30 minutes) and I've heard about
> running a "DNS cache" to speed things up.  I suppose this works
> by recording the ip addresses associated with the domains when they
> are acquired from (in this case) Stanford's DNS server, so they
> can be looked up locally.  Is there a software package for this?

Sure -- the standard BIND that comes with your 2.2.1 system will do
this just fine.  The O'Reilly book "DNS and BIND" has an excellent
section on setting up a ccache-only name server.

Basically, you want to configure bind to *not* be primary or secondary
for any domains.  It understands how to find the root-level name
servers, and will cache everything it finds.

The good news is that the FreeBSD 2.2 distribution comes with named
basically setup to be a cache-only server.  You need to do the following
as root:

cd /etc/namedb
sh make-localhost
edit /etc/sysconfig (or /etc/rc.conf, if 2.2.2)
	change namedflags to those suggested by the comment
	as in "-b /etc/namedb/named.boot"

That should do it.  Remember your gateway to the internet must allow
your new nameserver UDP and TCP access on port 42 or it will not work.

> This machine has FreeBSD 2.2.1 installed on it; it's just a
> Pentium 90 with 32 megs ram, but I think it could do better than
> it's been doing....I found bulk_mailer and installed it but haven't
> yet figured out how to set it up.

You'll want to monitor the size of the cache vs. available memory.  If
you're only handling 200 addresses, this won't be a problem at all, but
name servers have a tendency to grow their caches unbounded and
eventually consume all RAM and swap.  Rebooting once a month or so
might be an acceptable alternative if it eats the system too badly.