Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:48:28 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        dannyman <dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qcam in kernel - build died

> > I noticed the QuickCam support was recently pulled. That's cool since it
> > didn't work.
> Arggh!! Why? Lots of things don't work and they are still in the kernel..

The original author, Paul Traina, indicated that it was badly
bitrotted and he no longer wished to support it.  Since nobody else
seemed to be looking after it either (the QuickCam VC has been out for
months and nobody has updated the driver to deal with it), Mike deemed
it best to simply kill it.

That said, there *was* a certain degree of outcry over the decision
despite the fact that the "kill it" request came from the author
himself, and I believe that the current plan is to update / enhance
the usermode utilities to deal better with the QC and give the yelling
folks equivalent (or better) functionality.  One big advantage of
putting the driver in usermode is that it doesn't drag down your
interactive performance anywhere near as much while using the camera.

					Jordan