Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tasd 3.5

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Paul Traina wrote:

> We don't own TASD and you shouldn't make changes as if you think you do own it.
>
> I'm really sick and tired of seeing people hack the living shit out of 3rd
> party
> code and then it becomes unmaintainable when that 3rd party makes changes.

About a month ago we hashed this out on -hackers.  TASD is the last
version of VoxWare/TASD/USS that we will be integrating into FreeBSD.  USS
Lite (the new name for this sound driver) is now covered by a copyright
which is not acceptable for FreeBSD.  Jordan has made it clear that he
doesn't want to import USS Lite because of this copyright.

Also, our driver is going to quickly drift away from TASD.  For example, I
know of people who are interested in implementing AWE32 support, GUS PnP
init, support, and SB PnP support.  Doing all of this stuff basically
amounts to "hacking the living shit" out of parts of the sound driver.

Unless someone turns around and tells me that USS Lite is "ok" for the
kernel, then I think we *should* clean this up as much as possible.  This
driver was been a big ugly thorn sticking out of the kernel, and there
have been many problems with it.

Sujal