Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:04:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Tony Finch <fanf@demon.net>
Cc:        Tony Finch <fanf@demon.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting a partition more than once

:Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
:> :Tony Finch <fanf@demon.net> wrote:
:...
:>
:>     Hmm... well, there is a problem here.  I believe this will allow
:>     you to open the underlying block device read-only as well as mount
:>     the filesystem read-only.  This will confuse the buffer cache badly.
:
:I don't think so -- spec_open checks whether the block device has been
:mounted in order to prevent this, and I made sure that that check
:remains in force except when spec_open is called by ffs_mountfs (by
:adding the FMOUNTING flag). I assumed that the buffer cache will
:handle multiple read-only mounts because it handles multiple userland
:reading file descriptors.

    Ah, I see it now!

:>     Also, this may not be the best place to put the code.  It make sense
:>     to be able to mount a block device multiple times in a read-only
:>     fashion, but the code should be in the open for the block device
:>     rather then in UFS/FFS, so it can be used with other filesystems
:>     and for other purposes.
:
:Yes, it's evident that this is true because I had to hack around
:essentially the same test in both spec_open and ffs_mountfs; removing
:the checks down from ffs_mountfs so it relies on spec_mount to DTRT
:would be neater, I think.
:
:Tony.
:--
:f.a.n.finch    dot@dotat.at    fanf@demon.net    e pluribus unix

    Yes.  I think this is the right track to take.  The result will be
    more useful to the system and probably a cleaner patch as well.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>