Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:42:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printer filters...

Thanks to Sean Kelly, I was able to get the two printers working on the FreeBSD
machine.  However, I am now stuck with the problem of print requests coming
from Windows machines killing the lpd daemon.  We have lpr running in Windows
and it outputs to the print server (FreeBSD) via an Epson 1170 print driver.
Since the output from the Windows machines are not text, the special characters
are killing the default filter, if there is one, that lpd uses.  I have called
the people at Epson and they told me that they don't have a filter for the
epson 1170 dot matrix printer that runs on Unix (BSDish) machines.
My question is: Can I somehow get the output from the Windows machines to go
directly to the Epson printer instead of lpd trying to do something with it?
Can I set up a dummy filter that doesn't do anything but passes the data to the
printer?  If so, how can I do it?  If only I could look at the source code to
the lpf filter, maybe I can hack at it to make it work.  Is there source code
to the lpf filter?

--
William T. Wong                      |         |   | |   |         |   | |   |
Network Analyst, Assistant           |   | |   |   | |   |   | | | |   | |   |