Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:16:30 -0500
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Craig Hawco <dest@syd.eastlink.ca>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: libc/libc_r changes require rebuild of threaded apps

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:07:20PM -0400, Craig Hawco wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>

> > Using -pthread will prevent linking to libc and only link to
> > libc_r.  After the change I just committed, you need to link
> > to both libc_r and libc (in that order), just like you would
> > for a threaded application on just about any other OS (only
> > ours is called libc_r instead of libpthread).
>
> Why not just call it libpthread for the sake of consistancy with other
> OSes? I understand why it was called libc_r, but it no longer contains the
> libc functionality. I know we like being nonconformist, but sometimes
> consistancy is a Good Thing.

Because libpthread will be written as part of the KSE project, and this
way we have two different names for the different libraries, as opposed
to "the new libpthread" and "the old libpthread".

--
garrett rooney                           my pid is inigo montoya.
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net             you kill -9 my parent process.