Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:42:47 -0700
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org" <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: yamaha YMF744b-R support?

Roger Hardiman wrote:

> Ken
>
> > I have a Toshiba laptop with a yamaha YMF744B-R
> > audio chipset. Kernel is conf'd with pcm0 and sbc0,
> > but nothing shows up in dmesg, and audio operations
> > get 'device not configured' errors. (MAKEDEV snd0 was run.)
> >
> > Anyone know of support for this chip?
>
> What version of FreeBSD are you using?
> There is some new Yamaha support in the latest 5.x-current
> sources.
>
> Roger

Hi, Sorry - I should have included that I'm on 4.0R.

Just got this reply from someone else too:
are you running 5.0-current or 4.0-stable?

there is support in 5.0-current for yamaha chips
(definately the 724, i'm guessing the 744 too) you
just need "device pcm0" in your conf.

if you're running 4.0-stable, you might want to try
to manually MFC the source down.  the files you need
are /sys/dev/sounds/pci/{ds1.c, ds1.h, ds1-fw.h}

and then add
  dev/sound/pci/ds1.c     optional pcm pci

to your /sys/conf/files and build a new kernel.

i have no idea if this will work... so proceed with
caution and expect failure.

                            ...bryan

I'll give it a shot, unless someone knows that
I shouldn't bother.

Thanks much,
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
Ok. I think we should definitely pow-wow on this so that we can analyze the big
picture and take a broad horizontal view across the big dollar items.
		- http://cgi.bigshed.com/~kmarx/cgi-bin/speak.cgi