Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 07:49:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>, FreeBSD -- The Power to Serve <geniusj@free-bsd.org>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Local DoS in FreeBSD

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Oh wait, I don't know which KASSERT() you were refering to.
>
>     If you were refering to the first one (uip != NULL), I think it can occur as
>     I say.  If it is refering to the second one, (uip->ui_sbsize >= 0),
>     then I'm not sure.

That's the one I meant.

>     Either way I would get rid of chgsbsize() and instead change the chgproccnt()
>     function to take a third argument, or make it even more general by passing
>     a field type and a delta to allow it to be scaled to other things.

Probably a good idea, and I'll see how it works after I get the KASSERT()
to stop tripping.

>     It may be as simple as the KASSERT winding up being wrong.

Doesn't seem like it at all.

>     I would also instrument the panic portion of the KASSERT to
>     display more information, such as value of 'diff' and the
>     old value of ui_sbsize when uip is not NULL.  That may make the
>     problem more obvious.

I've gdb'd every crash and it's been something like ui_sbsize = 0x1234
delta = -0x2000.

--
 Brian Fundakowski Feldman           /  "Any sufficiently advanced bug is    \
 green@FreeBSD.org                   |   indistinguishable from a feature."  |