Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:57:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jwd@unx.sas.com (John W. DeBoskey)
Subject:   vfs_bio.c/vfs_page_set_valid() NFS bug (and fix)

Hi,

   Please commit the following patch to vfs_bio.c/vfs_page_set_valid().
 * $Id: vfs_bio.c,v 1.151 1998/02/11 20:06:48 dg Exp $

# diff vfs_bio.c.orig vfs_bio.c
2127c2127
<            ev = off + (bp->b_validend & ~(DEV_BSIZE - 1));
---
>            ev = off + ((bp->b_validend + DEV_BSIZE - 1) & ~(DEV_BSIZE - 1));

   Due to the incorrect (trunc'ing) of ev, no partial block caching
is done for NFS based files. ie: A file of 16385 bytes will have the
1st 16k correctly cached, but the single byte of data will always
be dumped, thus forcing a readrpc to always be executed.

   The above has been tested and works correctly.

   I also beleive that 'sv' is incorrectly calculated, and should be done
as a trunc (like ev was).

         sv = off + ((bp->b_validoff + DEV_BSIZE - 1) & ~(DEV_BSIZE - 1));

should be:

         sv = off + (bp->b_validoff & ~(DEV_BSIZE - 1));

   I have not tested this out though with a physical gdb -k session and an
appropriate test program. Your comments are welcome.

            ev should be rounded up to the next higher DEV_BSIZE boundary.

   This causes a major performance boost for nfs mounted system builds.

Thanks,
John

ps: Now to work on the unrequired lookup & attr calls.

pss: I beleive that there are some bugs in either nfsstat or the actual
     data collection scheme. nfsstat is supplying information that
     doesn't match what I'm getting with my sniffer. I trust the sniffer.
     Comments?

--
jwd@unx.sas.com       (w) John W. De Boskey          (919) 677-8000 x6915