Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 10:33:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck McCrobie <mccrobi@aplcenMP.apl.jhu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinion on File System Implementation

Chuck,

Responding briefly as I'm currently on travel at a DARPA PI meeting and
checking out shortly -- in 4.0-RELEASE/STABLE and 5.0-CURRENT, there is an
interface for "extended attributes" on file system objects.  Take a look
at extattr(9), VOP_GETEXTATTR(9) and VOP_SETEXTATTR(9).  There are exposed
syscalls to userland also, but in 4.x they don't have man pages as there
are no tools using them.

In 5.0-CURRENT, I introduced rudimentary support for extended attributes
in UFS/FFS to support security extensions I have been working on, so we
also pushed in simple command line tools to allow userland to
read/set/control extended attributes (setextattr(8), getextattr(8),
extattrctl(8)).  It may be that this interface is the appropriate
interface to read, if not write, this meta-data.

I believe that Boris Popov was looking at exposing NWFS attributes through
this interface, as well as DOS file attributes that don't easily map to
UNIX file permissions/mode.  I believe that our current HPFS
implementation uses an ioctl in the style that you describe, but it might
be appropriate to modify it to use the extended attribute interface.

It is my intent to commit syscall manpages for these interfaces over the
next couple of weeks once I'm back from my trip.

  Robert N M Watson