Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:01:04 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Netmetrica corp <netmetrica@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW Problem with Aliases on single Interface

Netmetrica corp wrote:
> I'm running BSD4.5 with one ethernet interface.  that
> interface has multiple IP aliases.  I would like to
> give each IP address a seperate ingress and egress
> rule.  or in other words I want different subnets to
> be treated separately if those subnets are aliases
> on the same physical interface.
> However, the IPFW takes a shortcut and it seems to
> just use the the single outgoing interface instead of
> the multiple IP address that are assigned to that
> interface.  Is there a reason that this feature is not
> supported other than speed?

It's not ipfw, but IP that does this.  This is the case on
every platform, in every implementation I know.  All outbound
traffic will go out the primary interface on the same net,
even if they are separate physical interfaces.  There
is a way to do what you intend with a combination of ipfw and natd,
and it gets fairly hairy.