Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:56:19 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        robin@is.co.za, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user management stuff

> I don't like the idea of a delete user script.

There should be, at least, programmatic support for
deleting passwd and group entries.  There is nothing
for that now.  Also, there should be programmatic ways
of changing the passwd (other than being forced to
use expect/passwd or something.)  [In my case I have
a system a system where the passwd database and another
database need to be kept in sync.

While we are at it, I have noticed the following errors
in 2.1 WRT this:

1) There is no way to delete entries from passwd or group
without just manually doing it.

2) crypt(3) says that the ``setting'' string is 9 characters
beginning with ''_'', but by trial and error, it seems that
the passwords in the master.passwd file are *not* generated
this way.

3) chpass -p doesn't seem to work at all.

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 592 8935, Net: witr@rwwa.COM