Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:26:52 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg-server 1.4_2,1 fails on RELENG_7

Hi Justin,

> I stand corrected.  In a last-ditch effort before going to bed, I retried
> combinations.  Miraculously using "SWCursor" works now, and I don't know how,
> as I checked and double checked before sending the email.

  Good to hear.

> The color issue is still present, and I think that's an endian issue, since
 >it's being drawn on an x86

  Not surprising, Xvnc hosted on powerpc and rendering on x86 is
unusable due to what sounds like similar issues.

 >(X forwarding of konqueror).

  I've had konqueror on BETA3. The kde-lite port took 22 hours to build
on a 1.25Ghz G4 :). There is an issue with position-independent
executables (PIE) which are used by KDE for various utilities: I had to
hand-build these as non-PIE (e.g. one of the startup files, kdeinit ?).
I'm looking into why the toolchain isn't producing the right thing for
these.

  Now, does anyone out there have time to dig into the low-level ppc asm
code needed to get Firefox running ? :)

later,

Peter.