Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:57:38 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video capture cards for MBONE? Laptops for MBONE?

You have two PCI options Matrox Meteor for $500 and
the OmniMedia Sequence-P1S for $300.

The matrox driver which works with both of the above cards is part
or FreeBSD-release and FreeBSD-current.

As nothing being on www.freebsd.org thats my fault for being too
busy lately with work. In the mean time you can check out my
mbone page: http:/rah.star-gate.com/~hasty/mbone.html

>>> Chris Shenton said:
 > I've been tracking some of the recent traffic on MBONE tool support,
 > and got nv to talk to my QuickCam, and I've had vat on speaking terms
 > with my Gus Max. I didn't find anything in the release notes or
 > multimedia page on www.freebsd.org.
 >

 > I wanted to find out what the supported video capture cards are, and
 > are expected to be, so I can jack-in a regular video camera. The Vic
 > code indicates that the Matrox Meteor is supported. Is this in the
 > kernel, or slated for 2.2, or ...? I'm at 2.1-RELEASE now.
 >

 > I'd like to build out a laptop which could do MBONE: plug a PCMCIA
 > ethernet card in, a PCMCIA video capture card in and go. How possible
 > is this? Do the laptops' "SoundBlaster compatible" facilities really
 > work for vat? Some laptops?

If you have a hardware compatible sound blaster clone it should not
be a problem . I have a heard  a few multimedia hackers getting audio
out of their laptops with SB clones.

	Hope this helps,
	Amancio