Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 12:34:31 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>, hackers list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to stop console messages to rlogin sessions?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Brian Reichert wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:59:34PM -0500, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > I have just upgraded my debug/test systems here to 4.3-stable and I'm
> > now getting all of my device driver printf's spewed to my root rlogin
> > windows. When these two systems were 4.0 and 4.2 these messages weren't
> > printed here (I am capturing them on the serial port).
> >
> > How do I revert this so that when I rlogin as root to these boxes the
> > kernel printf's don't get written to my rlogin session?
>
> Is this a syslog issue?  If so, dick with syslog.conf as neccessary...

As a matter of fact it is.  If you copy /usr/src/etc/syslog.conf over your
/etc/syslog.conf you get these lines added there:

*.err                                           root
*.notice;news.err                               root
*.alert                                         root

Just edit /etc/syslog.conf and remove them.
Restart syslogd (issuing a 'killall -HUP syslogd' as root will do it)
and you're set to go :)

-giorgos