Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 21:18:19 -0800
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Christian <PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix program to make a pc into an ethernet bridge

Chuck Robey wrote in message ID
<Pine.SUN.3.91.951117000232.21650A-100000@latte.eng.umd.edu>:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Christian wrote:

> > Hi,

> >     I am wondering if there was a program (daemon) that runs under
> > FreeBSD or Unix in general that will do ethernet to ethernet
> > bridging...I found one such program, its called PCBridge, but its for
> > dos and its written in assembler.  Thanks

> No special program needed.  FreeBSD does this, when the GATEWAY ip option
> is enabled.  This isn't a simple thing, you know, setting up a node, you
> have to know a bit about tcpip routing, things like how to set up named.
> If you don't know how to do this, write again asking for a reference or
> two, you are in for some study time.

Umm. I'm not sure that's what Christian was looking for. I believe
he's looking for a system with does ethernet packet forwarding, not IP
packet forwarding. i.e. a full ethernet bridge.

This possibly won't be TOO difficult to do using the bpf i/f's, it's
just a question of writing the software to do it. I haven't heard of
any for FreeBSD.

Yours

Gary