Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 20:32:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How big are queues on a typical router ?

> > Is there any relation between the queue size and the line speed ?
>
> It depends.

I know. but a colleague here said that Ciscos (at least some models)
come with a default "pool size" of 40 slots (whatever is a slot) and he
usually brings it up to 330.

> > I am asking because during some tests (on a connection which
> > apparently goes through a ~256Kbit/s line) I experienced large
> > packet losses, yet an upper bound on the RTT of about 1.2s compared
> > to a lower bound of ~.3s . This makes me think that the queue on
> > the routers is about 1s-worth of data (approx 32KB). Is this correct ?
>
> The RTT value you have is the minimum pool retention time for a
> successful transit of the router.
>
> This time dictates the number of packets, maximum, you can see in a
> given interval, and thus how much memory (what pool size) would be
> required.

sorry I don't get this.

> It sounds like your router is simply overleaded by 20%.

nor i can understand where the 20% comes from, how it relates to the
loss rate measured by a (20-minutes long) sequence of pings, and if
it is reasonable that this is a steady-state situation.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/