Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:20:01 -0500
From:      "Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc & Shire.Net LLC" <chad@pengar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "no more processes"

Hi All

I am running 4.2-RELEASE on a dual Celeron system.  The system is mainly
running a few versions of Roxen (www.roxen.com) web server, mySQL database,
and various perl and other CGIs.  Very little actual user login occurs.

The system had been up about 2 weeks when I logged in last night and
started getting "no more processes" messages for any command I typed that
was not built into the shell.  Additional SSH connections failed.
Processes, like Roxen and mySQL that were already running and not forking,
continued to run.  Logging out of my SSH session and logging into the
console I was able to reboot.

I figured that my new kernel needed some parameters changed in it and went
to the kernel config files.  But I am not sure what parameters to look at.
Looking in LINT I didn't see any parameters that appear to influence
process table sizes etc.  I have vague memories in 2.2.x of having such
parameters.

Can someone provide me with some hints or pointers to docs that would help
me understand in detail what was probably happening and what precautions I
should take to make sure it does not happen again?

Thanks
Chad
Shire.Net LLC

Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
Web and Macintosh Consulting -- full service web hosting
Chad Leigh
chad@pengar.com			chad@shire.net