Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:40:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        fullermd@futuresouth.com (Matthew D. Fuller)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

> > > OK, so what's wrong with a simple /etc/rc.conf script that looks
> > > something like:
> >
> > It doesn't scale.
>
> I don't see how.
> Unless there's a limit (that we're likely to reach) on how long a shell
> variable can be.  I'm sure there is, but I'm not sure if it's low enough
> that we're likely to hit it on a bootup sequence.

It doesn't scale because it's a linearly exponential increase in
overhead for the programs that source it as they search linearly
through the name space for variables which might apply to them.

It's also insufficiently dynamic, insufficiently hierarchical, and
the interface is insufficiently abstact.  The point of an abstract
interface is to hide complexity.  This doesn't hide complexity of
greater than O(1).

> I mean, it's the same way Jordan was going with a 'registry', except
> thrown into a script.  I can see it getting a little unwieldy at extreme
> sizes, but then again, there's only so much you're really going to be
> DOING on bootup.

It's not just for booting.  Consider the case of wanting to restart
amd, for example.  Your script would have to source all of rc.conf
(or whatever you called it).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---