Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:29:36 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

I smell like a wet reducing clinic on Columbus Day!

 >>         if ((pwd = getenv("PWD")) != NULL) {
 >>             if (stat(pwd, &sb) == 0 && sa.st_ino == sb.st_ino &&
 >>                 sa.st_dev == sb.st_dev)
 >>                 (void) strcpy(curdir, pwd);
 >>         }
 >Ahh...I knew I'd heard of that logic before...:-)
 >> Anyone else think that this is totally bogus and should be removed?
 >> It certainly EXPLAINS a few things! :-)

I'm full gonzo confused here... I understand the logic of the code
clip, but I don't understand why it's bogus.  I should note that I am
still nursing my first FreeBSD machine to life (with no phone line,
this is a task indeed), and have no idea how the make under /usr/src
works.  What is the problem with the /usr/src/a/src/lib/libc vs.
/usr/src/usr/src/lib/libc, and indeed, what are these subdirectories?

Thanks,
Piquan

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped