Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:21:28 +0000
From:      "Þorður Ivarsson" <totii@est.is>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: weird IP address

Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Þorður Ivarsson wrote:
> >
> > what is this then ? ...
> >
> > whois 1.1.1.1
> >
> > [No name] (NS35365-HST)
> >
> >    Hostname: NS.LOTTOSPORTS.COM
> >    Address: 1.1.1.1
> >    System: ? running ?
> >
> >    Record last updated on 26-Nov-97.
> >    Database last updated on 14-Dec-97 05:23:51 EDT.
> >

> Just because someone registers a record using that address doesn't mean
> it is allocated to anyone.  You can register whatever you feel like;
> the InterNIC doesn't care about anything as long as you pay.
>
> This is just like how you can put any IP address in your domain
> files without having anything to do with it.
>

> > and the other way around
> >
> > %whois lottosports.com
> > Lotto Sports Inc. (LOTTOSPORTS2-DOM)
> >    10863 97st
> >    Edmonton, AB T5H 2M6
> >    ,
> >    CA
>
> Hmm.  Same city as me.

Are you telling me that I could register "what ever name" to "what ever
ip address" that even does not belong to me?

This does not seem to be logical. I can use "what ever name".est.is in
my domain for my network 194.144.208."what ever" but I must not be
allowed to register "what ever other name".est.is to address/network
that I have not got from INTERNIC/RIPE.

We have virtual domains here and they have logical reason, but not
someone using reseved (assigned) address is not ethical.

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!