Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:39:25 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Define MAXMEM in GENERIC

>... since we're
>likely to see more and more people having problems related to failed
>speculative memory probes as >64MB machines become entry-level.

Since all(*) new machines support INT 15h AX=E820h, and FreeBSD now
seems to be able to use it, why not have the speculative probe
default to disabled in GENERIC and use a boot option to enable probing
support for those very few older systems that supported more than 64MB
or 16MB but did _not_ yet support E820h (or E801h)?

(*) Good bet if the machine supports MS-Windows.

p.s.  FreeBSD seems to prefer E801h over E820h.  I'd like to see it
      the other way around, since you could gain almost 64 KB of
      extra memory in some cases.