Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 08:44:17 -0700
From:      Jeff Gibbons <jgibbons@protogate.com>
To:        Gary Roberts <garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpm and WordPerfect Office 2000

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 10:32:49AM +1000, Gary Roberts wrote:
> Chad R. Larson writes :-
>
> > Has anyone tried to evaluate pros and cons of the various office
> > suites?
> >
> > 1)  Applixware - native
> > 2)  StarOffice - linux
> > 3)  WordPerfect - linux
> > 4)  anything - Wine
> > 5)  ???
>
> <snip description of secretary trying W98 version of staroffice>
>
> At the moment I've basically given up - she uses W98 and I use FreeBSD.
> I would be very interested in other peoples experiences.

Applixware has been a lifesaver for me, because it can import and
read or edit MS Word 95/97/2000 ".doc" files directly, though it
can't export to those formats (it uses .rtf instead, which is better
anyway in my opinion because it is more portable).  I originally
bought the FreeBSD version (after seeing it demo'ed at the FreeBSDCon
last year) because I work with some people who occasionally send
me email with .doc file attachments, and it has allowed me to
interoperate with them easily without having to boot a Windows
machine.  Other than the FreeBSD CDs themselves, it has been the
best money I ever spent.  Of course, I haven't really "wrung it
out" to really see what it's capable of -- I use vi for everything
_I_ have control over.

You might consider trying it out; even if you can't wean your
secretary off W98, you'd at least be able to read her output on
your FreeBSD machine!

Jeff