Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 2009 01:13:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      alexpalias-bsdstable@yahoo.com
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Quggaa locking hard.

I have also seen this with a recent version of FreeBSD 8 (I know 8.0-BETA2 =
didn't have this problem, also I have an 8.0-RC1 without problems,  but I t=
hink RC3 did have it, and I'm sure -RELEASE has it).=0A=0AA few more detail=
s:  =0A=0AIt happened both on amd64 and i386.  I couldn't debug amd64 (it w=
as a live server and we couldn't afford it), but on i386 flowcleaner was us=
ing a LOT of CPU.  =0A=0AIt seemed to happen after booting, when quagga was=
 importing global routing tables (~300k routes) from 2 BGP sessions.  At le=
ast one of the sessions seemed to finish importing routes, but the kernel r=
outing table seemed to be growing very slowly.  =0A=0ADoing "netstat -nr | =
wc -l" took way longer than usual (20-30 seconds versus 9 seconds now), and=
 it only reported about 100k routes.  Doing it again after a minute or so s=
howed the number of routes grew by around 10k.=0A=0ADuring this time, both =
quagga and zebra were very slow to respond to a new telnet session opened t=
o them.=0A=0AAs a workaround, I did sysctl net.inet.flowtable.enable=3D0.  =
This didn't ease the load on the CPU, but having it in /etc/sysctl.conf and=
 rebooting did help (quagga started up normally and all routes are where th=
ey should be).=0A=0AHope this helps=0A    Alex=0A=0A--- On Fri, 12/4/09, Za=
phod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com> wrote:=0A=0A> From: Zaphod Beeblebrox <=
zbeeble@gmail.com>=0A> Subject: Quggaa locking hard.=0A> To: "FreeBSD Stabl=
e" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>=0A> Date: Friday, December 4, 2009, 5:46 AM=
=0A> I'm still investigating this, but my=0A> quagga is locking hard on Fre=
eBSD 8.0=0A> and not locking hard on 7.2.=A0 It seems (at this early=0A> po=
int in the=0A> investigation) that both bgpd and zebra are wedging and=0A> =
zebra is listed as=0A> being in the "RUN" state.=0A> =0A> curiously, the lo=
ad is also 4.0 (exactly the number of=0A> cores in the machine)=0A> even th=
ough the machine also reads 100% idle.=0A>