Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 09:48:19 +0930 (CST)
From:      Dave Edwards <davo@katy.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sa-tech@tierzero.apana.org.au (Apana SA Technical Group)
Subject:   Re: Interface problem

'Michael Smith scribbled..'
> From msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au Fri Jun  7 14:34:36 1996
> From: Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
> Subject: Re: Interface problem
> To: davo@katy.apana.org.au (Dave Edwards)
> Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 14:58:18 +0930 (CST)
> Cc: freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

> Dave Edwards stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Is there some limit set on the number of slip/ppp/tun interfaces
> > available in 2.1-RELEASE ?
>
> Not AFAIK.

What would be the most important kernel config parameters that
may have a bearing here.  From my reading, maxusers of 10 should
be ample, I've set it to 15 anyway.  I am using the default
CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX settings.

We have 14 slip, 10 tun devices in the configuration at the
moment.  The sliplogin process failed with I think 9 sliplogin
processes and 3 or 4 ppp connections.

Hmmm, I've just noticed some errors showing in the system message
buffer that are not turning up in /var/log/messages at least
not in full.  dmesg shows:

arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo
and 110 more lines the same :(

I only found two similar lines in /var/log/messages*

messages.1:May 30 00:50:19 pasa /kernel: ocate llinfo
messages.1:May 30 00:50:19 pasa /kernel: ocate llinfo

Note, the machine has only been up 12 hours at the moment so the
current stuff shown in dmesg is not getting logged.  Is there any
way of simulating tail -f `dmesg` :)

> > User ppp caused a problem at first with "device not configured"
> > sometimes and "can't find ifindex" at others.  We got past that
> > one with some mods to the ppp code but yesterday, a cslip
> > connection failed rather strangely.  Sliplogin worked ok and
> > configured the interface (sl8) but I could not get it to come
> > up.

Can anyone tell me why open(/dev/tun0) would return ENOXIO when
the device is in use?

> > "ifconfig -au"    did not show sl8
>
> 'ifconfig' uses a fixed-size buffer to obtain information from the
> kernel.  With lots of interfaces, the buffer is too small.

"ifconfig sl8" (the port that wouldn't come up) did not show the UP
flag so I assumed thats why ifconfig -au did not list it.  Trying
to ping the machine on the other end gave network down errors.

We are upgrading to a pre-mega_commit -stable tomorrow on another
machine with different problem :(  more about that in a different
message.  If that works we will move the dialin machine to
-stable within the week.  However I can't see any changes to the
kernel that would fix the ppp problem in -stable, the slip one
has me totally baffled (not hard I assure you :)

> > We tried twice with the same result.  The same person has had no
> > trouble up till now, and he's got on since.  He's using ppp until
> > I can sort it out.  Problem is we rarely get more than 12
> > connections at a time so its hard to troubleshoot..
>
> Dummy some on vtys.

Good idea.  I put in some null cables on 8 spare ports last
night for the same purpose.  I'll give that a go today.

Thanks all.

ciao
dave
--