Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:04:30 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DWL-650 NIC and access points -- what have people used?

John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>, said on Tue Feb 19, 2002 [12:05:31 PM]:
}
} Hi all,
}
} I am wondering what access points people have used in combination with the
} D-link DWL-650 NIC?

[ tale of woe with DWL-1000AP deleted ]

I had a very similar experience, and returned the DWL-1000AP and picked up
the Linksys WAP11.  I've had reasonably good luck; the configuration was
via Windows software and a USB connection.  There is also an SNMP configuration
method, which I vaguely mistrust largely because it can't be turned off, and
listens on the wireless side as well as the wired side.  There is a MAC
filter which can be used to limit the MAC addresses it'll talk to on the
wireless side, but this is only viewable/settable from the SNMP manager.

I also have problems with this combination (DWL-650 and WAP11) getting
progressively slower over time; the latency starts to noticibly drag after
about 18 hours of uptime on the WAP11 (regardless of whether there is a
wireless connection for that entire time or not).  I work around that by
having home automation cycle the power off and back on to the WAP11 every 12
hours, and that works fine for me, but it's decidedly poor.  I did upgrade
the firmware on the WAP11 with no noticible effects on that problem, but
admittedly haven't investigated much further since I have a workaround.

--

   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com