Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 23:42:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet modem by Metricom

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> > > 	Does anyone know anything about how to setup the Ricochet wireless
> > > modem by Metricom under FreeBSD?  Does the Ricochet communicate using PPP
> > > and can you use other DNS's other than the Ricochet ones?  Thanks.
> >
> > Yes.  It's just like a modem.  We have a P133 laptop that's working
> > perfectly using user-mode ppp.
>
> 	Hmmm, what kind of speeds are you getting with the Ricochet?

Between 14.4 and 28.8.  It depends on where you are in relation to the
antennas.

A friend of mine has found that the Ricochet modem overclocks the serial
port, so watch out if you have a laptop with a 16450 UART -- you'll have
to run at 19200 instead of the max 38400.

> 	Hmmm, do you just use a three digit number to reach U of Oregon
> like the number**ppp or is the number longer than that and is the
> performance different if you just used the ricochet internet service
> instead of the university gateway?

Yup.  I haven't used Ricochet's service so I can't compare them.  All I
know is that the University is free and Metricom's is not :)

> I am using mines on my desktop and
> even one foot away, it was making my screen's information shaking and my
> speakers kept getting the static...

We have found that some monitors and other hardware are not well shielded,
and the radio transmissions do interfere with them.  There is a Mac with
an older display that has this problem.  The best thing to do is move the
radio.  You can buy a 10 ft cord from Metricom so you can place the modem
further away from the problem hardware.