Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 05:15:35 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: ';;' instead of 'fi'

glbj@verizon.net said..
> there are a few around here that can probably spot the problem.

..where Jon's <jon.longoria@dfwgroove.com> /etc/rc apparently included...
----8<----
if [ "${dumpdev}" != 'NO' ]; then
	case ${dumpdir} in
	'')
		dumpdir='/var/crash'
		;;
	[Nn][Oo])
		dumpdir='NO'
		;;
	esac
	if [ "$[dumpdir]" != 'NO' ]; then
		echo -n 'Checking for core dump: '
		/sbin/savecore ${savecore_flags} "${dumpdir}"
	fi
	;;  <===( +++ NOTE: LINE 427 +++ )
esac

This is an obvious mistake, closing an if block with "esac".

You should be able to mount / read/write if it's not already that way,
mount /usr if you've separated it, edit /etc/rc, remove the ";;" line
(427) and change that following "esac" to "fi".

My -STABLE /etc/rc dated 18th May is fine (though I can see several
differences in this section) and I didn't see this obviously get fixed in
CVS[1], so I suspect Jon's merge might have borked.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/rc

-Andrew-