Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 1995 18:46:09 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device driver writers guide

> > > One of the issues in BSD is lack of documentation for internal
> > > system interfaces.  VM would be a good place to start, as would
> > > vn_ for kernel level file I/O and bXXX, the block I/O interface.
> > >

> > Yea, but lack of documentation is a problem for all unixes.
> > Sco, even though you can pay for a device driver class, and
> > they have man pages for kernel support routines, still
> > is about 80% of what I would have liked.  (that is still
> > much better than FreeBSD, though)
>
> And they have a nice little booklet called the 'Device
> drivers writers guide' (if memory serves). I heavily used
> it when writing a striping package for SCO.

Yup, the name is stolen.  Sco has one, and I've seen linux has
a doc by that name too.  There are probably several others.

> The list you mention of things to be doc-ed looks
> reasonably like the index of the SCO book as I remember it.

Well, that may be just coincidence, or it may not be.  I've got the book on
my shelf here, but I didn't look at it when I scribbled that draft.
Its mostly what I remembered from the class, and how I thought
things should have been done.

> Another point of inspiration might be the 'Integrated
> software development guide' that came with SysV/386 rel 3.2
> There is probably a newer one for SysV4

Never seen it, but I'd be interested.

erich@lodgenet.com
erich@rrnet.com