Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:12:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        W.Belgers@nl.cis.philips.com (Walter Belgers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS/uids

> > It makes sense to me that "sensitive" user and group ID's perhaps
> > should not be honored when they come in via NFS... ie: user root
> > or bin, etc., or group bin or kmem.
>
> This has turned out to become a discussion about whether or not you
> should trust your NIS server, but that's not what I wanted to know.
> Let's assume I do not trust the uid's coming from the NIS server but I
> still do want to use NIS (for passwd/homedir/gecos/whatever).

Then you have the same problem, this time with associating a
particular password with a particular name.  All you have done is
trade the association with uid for an association with name.  There
is nothing the prevents me, as an NIS server, from returning the
password "frobozz" (encrypted, of course) for every user, regardless
of their real password.

Now you have the same security hole: you locally enforce the name/id
mapping, but I can log in as any name on your machine (and therefore,
and user id) using the password "frobozz".

> Why does FreeBSD give me troubles when I override the uid in the local
> password file?

It wasn't a case which was considered to ever be anything someone would
want to do, I believe.  Mostly because if I compromise the NIS server,
then I can force you to accept any password for any user/password pair,
and thereby become any user/id pair, so it doesn't give you the protection
you are trying to get it to give you.

PS: Do not start a line with a naked "From".  I think that's what screwed
up the other guy's mail filter for his Pine.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---