Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:17:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, mark@vmunix.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what I promised :-)

Mikael Karpberg said:
> According to John S. Dyson:
> > I am slightly suspicious of certain LL performance issues, but
> > those often can be mitigated by specialization of code sequences
> > (micro-optimization.)  There are also aspects of the kernel
> > structure that are so different (but potentially much more
> > cache conserving) that it is really hard to compare non-scaled LL
> > and scaled LL behavior yet.
>
> Short question: What does LL mean? :-)

It is *my* shortcut for Low Level.  It is just laziness on my part
that I don't type it.  Sorry!!! :-).

I define: scaled LL behavior as behavior of low level benchmarks in
	scaled conditions.  That should NOT be confused with scaled
	performance in general, which is a composite.  It is often true
	that low level performance doesn't figure significantly in the
	performance picture.  It is also true that low level performance
	can count significantly, depending on the application.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid