Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:56:13 -0700
From:      Bert JW Regeer <xistence@0x58.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa

--Apple-Mail-3-704209065
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hey,

As I had recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, I have one of the
brand new shiny ones with the Santa Rosa chipset.

I have been trying to run FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5 and 8.0-SURPRISE on it,
and everything goes well except the following issues:

1. Sometimes it will hang for ever on the ACPI initialisation.
Sometimes it will come out of it and continue booting, and other
times it will require a hard power down. Really hit and miss. I first
downloaded 7.0-BETA1.0, or 8.0-SURPRISE, and recompiled a new kernel
on it with the latest source from -HEAD and that caused it to die
with a failure to start the second core in my machine. FreeBSD 6.2
will sometimes boot and sometimes not boot, same as 7.0 hanging on
ACPI. For FreeBSD 6.2 I am able to fix it by hitting the power button
a few times.

2. The Marvell Gigbit NIC is not yet supported. I can provide output
from pciconf -lv if need be, let me know. Have not yet tried the
if_myk driver from Marvell themselves.

3. The Atheros chipset 5424 card is not yet supported either. Output
Mac OS X has in it's dmesg for this wireless card:

ath_attach: devid 0x24
Override HT40 CTL Powers. EEPROM Version is 14.4, Device Type 5
ath_descdma_setup: tx dd_desc_paddr = 0x76475000, length 0x46500
(288000) bytes
ath_descdma_setup: beacon dd_desc_paddr = 0x65b6e000, length 0x90
(144) bytes
mac 12.10 phy 8.1 radio 12.0
AirPort_Athr5424ab: Ethernet address 00:1c:b3:c0:82:cb

I am looking forward to the day that I may run FreeBSD with xfce on
this laptop, side by side with Mac OS X.

Bert JW Regeer
--Apple-Mail-3-704209065--