Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:42:57 -0400
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SIOCGIFDATA

I was wondering if anyone had thought of implementing the above ioctl. Right
now from what I can tell, (from wmnet, and netstat) all stats for a network
device are kvm_read out of the kernel. On my local machine (just to see if it
was feasable) I wrote an ioctl and added a structure (nameifdata, which has a
character array to store an if_name, and an if_data) that when given an
if_name (in the nameifdata) it fills the if_data with the appropriate
device's stats, and pulls it back to userland. I was wondering if anyone
would be interested in committing this ioctl, mainly because for a program
such as wmnet or any other program that needs stats, it's a pain to go
through all the kvm stuff when a socket could just be opened, and then that
data could be ioctl'd using that socket.

If there is any reason why nobody has created this ioctl, please explain it
to me.

Ken