Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> that big a deal?  I've heard lots of hyptheticals so far, but I
> haven't heard anyone yet say "*MY* machine will break if you take
> these ports out."

It will mean a kernel recompile on 3 of the 4 FreeBSD machines that I
administrate, and in one of those cases, the modem in question is the only
link to the outside world (including where I would be installing from)
so I'd have to install on one of the other machines, create a kernel for
the one remote machine, then figure out how to use that kernel on an
install disk.  This is not something a new user to FreeBSD should have to
worry about.

Of course, I probably shouldn't be running GENERIC on those machines, so
this wouldn't be an entirely bad thing.

I think the reason I'm so touchy on this is because people are talking
about disabling both sio2 and sio3.  If only sio3 is disabled, this
becomes a moot point on all 4 machines.  If I ever need 4 sio ports, I'll
probably go with something other than a stock serial port.