Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:35:16 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An Operating Systems Survey, of sorts...

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I ran across QueSO today, and was so intrigued by it that I built up a
> quick script to scan through my WWW logs, using it to determine who is
> running what.  The script just started, so there are only just over 500
> hosts listed so far (the log file I"m reading has 269,000 distinct IPs, do
> it has a ways to go), but if anyone is interested in these sorts of stats,
> check out:

Look into nmap - it does a better job of identifying OS versions since it's
based on a larger number of tests. It would be interesting to see the results
of this, although the stats might be self-selected if, e.g., you have useful
OS-specific pages on your site (higher number of users accessing them using
that OS than from a random population sample).

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.