Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:59:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        ivo.vachkov@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for information/comment on default-free zone router properties

> Is there any (no need to be official) information what is the number
> of different routes (for IPv4 and IPv6) on a default-free zone (DFZ)
> router in the Internet? I vaguely remember the number 450 000+
> distinct routes for IPv4? But what about IPv6?

See http://www.cidr-report.org - it has all the information you need.

Extract from the weekly post to Nanog:

Recent Table History
        Date      Prefixes    CIDR Agg
        19-08-11    371450      219002
        20-08-11    371427      219147
        21-08-11    371547      219346
        22-08-11    371326      218957
        23-08-11    371090      219346
        24-08-11    371769      219465
        25-08-11    372189      219508
        26-08-11    372363      219490

> On a related note, what is the number of the network interfaces on a
> DFZ router? No need for exact number, educated guess/estimation would
> be greatly appreciated too.

How long is a piece of string? "It depends."  And the same is the case
for number of interfaces. You obviously need a minimum of three for a
router to do anything "interesting" with the packets. Also, it depends
on whether you're talking about physical interfaces or logical (sub)
interfaces. I'd say anything from 3 to 20 is fairly typical.