Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:03:24 +0330
From:      h bagade <bagadeh@gmail.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to completely makes an interface down?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:

> h bagade wrote this message on Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 16:59 +0330:
> > I'm searching for a method or configuration which when I make the
> interface
> > down, the led goes off. Currently the led still remains on when I
> shutdowns
> > the interface! Is there any way to do this?
>
> Not all ethernet drivers disable the PHY when you down the interface...
> You can try to use:
> ifconfig <int> media none
>
> to shutdown the PHY, but the em driver on 9.1 doesn't have it, but re
> (7.2-R and -current) and msk (-current) seems to have it...
>
> Also, why do you want the led to go off?  Remeber, the led is just an
> indication if there is a link established, not what will happen to the
> packets that are received...
>
> --
>   John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 415 225 5579
>
>      "All that I will do, has been done, All that I have, has not."

Thanks for your comments. What I wanna to do is informing the other end
that the interface is down and also be able to find out that the other
neighbors are also down or not!
So firstly, I need to find a way to make the led go off like when the cable
is not connected. Then I also need to know how to find out the other end is
going off!