Date:      Sat, 5 May 2007 21:53:21 +0200
From:      Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        durian@shadetreesoftware.com
Subject:   Re: How to manage pkg-plists when two ports install the same files

On Sat 05 May 2007 15:05, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 12:54:44PM -0600, Mike Durian wrote:
> > I have just noticed that both net/sipxtacklib and net/sipxcalllib
> > install the some of the same header files.  How to I manage pkg-plists
> > for both ports and keep tinderbox happy?
> >
> > If I list the files in both packing lists, the first port to
> > deinstall removes the files.  Then tinderbox gets unhappy because
> > files that were present before the port was deinstalled are now
> > missing.
>
> Only one port is allowed to install such files.  If they both need to
> use it then either "ownership" of the common file needs to move into a
> common dependency, or the ports be marked with CONFLICTS so they can't
> be installed on top of each other.

You can also install the header files in a different location, for example
include/siptacklib/*.h and include/sipxcalllib/*.h

What you need to consider:
- Is it likely that someone would want to install both ports at the
  same time?
- How much work would be involved? Changing the location of the
  headers would mean changing all the ports that depend on this one.

--
Regards,
Martin Tournoij