Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:11:01 +0100
From:      "James A. Abercromby II" <j.abercromby@pn.nettuno.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP setup strangeness

    Ciao Everybody,

    Looking good with my install now.

    Trying to get my ISP dial-up going,

    Installed Xisp
    I can get the intial call in but
    when I get prompted for Username: and Password:
    with using PAP and papsecrets file correctly set up.
    or
    by setting up the send and expects fields correctly without pap it
and
    to bring up a post dialup terminal screen I can't enter in the
username or password it just doesn't work.  It just gets to the
Username: prompt and sits there stupidly.

   And I tried every config. option in Xisp, the connection gets
established xisp, just
doesn't send my username and password nor does it let me type it in.

So,
I went to defcon1.org and downloaded the two scripts that I figured I
would
try to use.
ppp_script2.sh
I can run the script and answer all the questions and provide the
appropriate info, but
when I get to the end of it and it says it is going to write the files
it just crashes at
or near line 356 near "else" basically for when it should rename (mv)
the old the
ppp.conf file?

Now is this script only for sh? or csh?
Cuz I am running bash, is this the problem?

also, tried to install and run PPP-config.0.2.2.tar.gz
but
make runs fine
but when I run
make install
it's general flakiness

Do these scripts actually
work?

Any, comments, suggestions, info, insights, and help
would be greatly appreciated.

Jim