Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:00:30 +0200
From:      Gerald Heinig <heinig@hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Subject:   Tracing Kernel code (isppp) & possible isdnd bug

Hi all,

I've come across a bug in i4b which unfortunately isn't easily reproducible.
I've set up my isdnd.rc file for normal dialup operation with the college (no
callback & stuff) and instructed isdnd to redial up to 10 times at 5 second
intervals. This has worked very well up until the latest alpha release (the
current one - I believe it's 10.07.98). I don't think the previous release had
this problem, though the more I think about it, the less sure I get...
Basically, i4b dials, *seems* to get an active connection and then releases the
line about 2 or 3 seconds afterwards. It then re-dials and says it has an active
connection, only to release it again after 2-3 seconds and so on, up until 10
tries, when it stops. I've emphasised the "seems" because I'm not actually sure
whether the connection could really be established. Our university dialup server
gets rather congested after 21:00 hours (until about 00:30 or so) and I've often
experienced difficulties getting a port between these times. Those are also the
times when I usually come across this problem. At the moment (coming up to
16:00) there's been no problem at all dialing in to college.

Now, I'd like to investigate this problem, because it's definitely a bug: (if
the line is unavailable, then isdnd's claim about an active connection is false;
if the connection really is active, then i4b shouldn't release it without manual
intervention).
I have a hunch that the problem lies with the ppp code (isppp). My question is:
what tools are available for kernel tracing? I'll obviously see whether I can
get enough info with isdntrace, but I wouldn't count on it.

cheers,

Gerald

PS. Why do I think isppp is the culprit? Because a kill & restart of isdnd
doesn't always solve the problem.

PPS. I've just remembered that the "no traffic timeout" behaves erratically as
well. It certainly doesn't hang up after 180 seconds of inactivity. I'll double
check the outgoing &incoming packets, just to be sure.