Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2013 00:12:56 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "Chad J. Milios" <freebsd-list@nuos.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Announcing: nuOS 0.0.9.1b1 - a whole NEW FreeBSD distro, NOT a fork

On Jul 7, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Chad J. Milios wrote:
[snip]

>            /etc is now a ZFS dataset of its own
>                How did we do it?
>                    Decades of conventional wisdom says /etc must be on /.
>                    Check it out, discuss the whys and the trade-offs.

Well, I see in nu_install on GitHub how you're doing it:

You added:

	init_script=3D"/boot/init.sh"

to /boot/loader.conf, wich -- among other things -- does these two interest=
ing things (variable names changed to make things more clear):

zfs rollback -r $zfs/swap/host@blank
NOTE: $zfs is equal to $( /bin/kenv vfs.root.mountfrom ) minus the leading =
"zfs:"

and

zfs mount $zpool/etc
NOTE: $zpool is equal to $zfs from above, leading up to (but not including)=
 the first slash (/).

Cute. Have to say I wasn't aware of the init_script feature of loader.conf(=
5). Not bad.
--=20
Devin

NOTE: Paring down on the cross-posting (bad OP). Posting only to -hackers@ =
(as it seems to be the right place to post disseminating analysis).

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.