Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:48:22 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD licence vs GPL

Dennis Jun wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> ... So I wanted to ask some people who do program and
> contribute to BSD what their thoughts on this is. Does it bother you? Is
> it even an issue? Much thanx in advance.

It's not even an issue.

I don't contribute to any BSD OS project, but all of my own software is
under the BSD license. I use the BSD license because I want to share my
code with the world, pure and simple. I'm not giving it away, or I would
place it in the public domain. And I'm not keeping all to myself, by
making it proprietary and selling rights to use it. I'm just sharing it.
And sharing means no strings attached.

The FSF talks a lot about freedom, but software licensing has very
little to do with freedom. First, Free Software is not similar to Free
Speech. Not even close. Preventing developers from distributing their
works under proprietary licenses would be a *violation* of their free
speech. Second, claiming that the GPL is more free than the BSDL because
it has more restrictions is ludicrous. That's like arguing you can't
have free elections in a democracy because otherwise a monarch might run
for office and win.

What if someone came along and created a closed source derivative of my
code and made a million bucks off of it? I would be pissed. But it
wouldn't matter. I get pissed all the time at the numbskulls that keep
electing morons into public office, but I'm not about to restrict their
freedom to vote. If the reason your friend is gung-ho over the GPL is
the freedom issue, then he needs to learn more about freedom. Freedom is
not convenient. Freedom is not safe. Freedom is not conformity.

David