Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 12:11:36 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        G?t Andr?s <andrej@antiszoc.hu>
Cc:        noc@intellicom.hu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd and securelevel question

* G?t Andr?s (andrej@antiszoc.hu) wrote:

> So. The simple question is: Why FreeBSD has securelevel 0 if init sets
> it to 1, if it sees at boot that the level is 0? :)

So when you boot to single user mode you can turn off immutable/append
only flags etc, without letting those capabilities propagate into
multiuser mode?

> We'd like to use our machines with securelevel 0 by default, so I had
> comment out the relevant two lines from init.c.

init(8):
  -1    Permanently insecure mode - always run the system in level 0 mode.
  This is the default initial value.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/