Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:29:21 +0200
From:      Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   logcheck doesn't work anymore

Hi,

After upgrading logcheck from 1.1.1 to 1.2.54 I suddenly get errors of
logcheck not working correctly:

Warning: If you are seeing this message, your log files may not have
been checked!

Details:
Could not run logtail or save output

Check temporary directory: /tmp/logcheck.6IZZmq

Also verify that the logcheck user can read all files referenced in
/etc/logcheck/logcheck.logfiles!

declare -x HOME="/var/lib/logcheck"
declare -x LOGNAME="logcheck"
declare -x MAILTO="root"
declare -x OLDPWD
declare -x
PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin"
declare -x PWD="/var/lib/logcheck" declare -x SHELL="/bin/sh"
declare -x SHLVL="1"
declare -x USER="logcheck"

In version 1.1.1 there was a script logcheck.sh in cron that ran every
hour but that doesn't seem to exist anymore. Trying to run logcheck
manually results in:

logcheck should not be run as root. Use su to invoke logcheck:
su logcheck -c "/usr/local/bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/logcheck"
Or use sudo: sudo -u logcheck logcheck.

But this doesn't seem to do anything.

How can I use logcheck again?

Thanks,

Marco

--
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary form.