Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:57:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        robin@is.co.za
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/console

> Michael Smith wrote:
> > You're using xinit.  Don't.  Use xdm like you should be; part of its
> > startup explicitly facilitates xconsole's operation.  You might
> > also try xterm -C if you're desperate.
>
> Oh!  That reminds me.  They might well be using /dev/ttyv0 instead of
> /dev/console...  Would that make a difference?  FreeBSD comes configured to
> use ttyv0 instead of console.  I'm too settled in my X session to tinker with
> this idea right now.  :-)
>
> Should you want to use /dev/console instead of /dev/ttyv0, edit /etc/ttys to
> reflect the following:
> console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
> ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure

Thank you.

The fixes it. Except I commented out the ttyv0 line as well (otherwise you
get two login prompts).

Cheers,

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[       Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They don't like it.        ]ENTP