Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:14:22 +0200
From:      "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com>
To:        cvs-comitters@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/apache13-php3 Makefile ports/www/apache13-php3/files         md5 configure.patch ports/www/apache13-php3/patches patch-aa         patch-ab patch-am patch-an ports/www/apache13-php3/patches.modssl         patch-aa patch-ab patch-

In article <19981002065920.B1941@klemm.gtn.com> you wrote:

> Well, that might be possible. But the crux is, that we don't
> want only to build  pure apache modssl, php3, xxxx ports, but
> also mixtures of that.

Correct. And as Marc already explained: Some modules like mod_ssl cannot be
build as DSOs because the Apache API contains no crypto hooks which allows
this.

> In an ideal world we would have one port maintainer for the
> apache port and perhaps one port that handles all of this.

Yes, of course.

> But Ralf Engelschall for example wants to keep his version
> of apache-modssl port as a pure modssl port and wants to
> maintain it him self, so we are kind of split here.

Please don't understand me correctly here. I don't want to maintain a
apache13-modssl port myself because of my ego, of course.
The reasons are different:

1. The whole SSL stuff is complicated enough. When you bundle it with PHP3 and
   other things it gets even more complicated.  This leads to a lot of bug
   reports to me which aren't actually related to mod_ssl. It costs me already
   a lot of time to support mod_ssl without PHP3 or mod_perl or whatever else
   related problems. So I appreciate to have a stand-alone Apache+mod_ssl port
   here.

2. The mod_ssl stuff is restricted because it contains Cryptography.
   So, the apache13-modssl port is marked as RESTRICTED. This means packages
   of it are not included on CDROMs and FTP servers. When you now bundle it to
   the other Apache ports it encumbers these, too. So, another good point why
   I want a stand-alone Apache+mod_ssl port.

> I think the first step would be, to agree / rely on one
> apache port maintainer and to give him the chance to
> put it all in one port, or maybe two or three, if people want
> to have precompiled packages of apache-php3 and  apache-modssl.

Yes, sounds reasonable. But please keep the above two points in mind.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com