Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:59:58 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Eric Gebhart <saseag@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GDM sessions

--=-1XMNtuRfg/uJOqIf2FJd

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 17:53, Eric Gebhart wrote:
> >From this link,=20
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q15
>=20
> I followed this, from all of the instructions I've found, this seems to m=
ake
> the most sense.  And it fit's in with the directory structure on my syste=
m.
>=20
> Eric
>=20
> <quote>
>=20
> The process for adding new GDM sessions has changed substantially between=
 GNOME 2.2 and 2.4. In order to add new sessions now, you must create a .de=
sktop file containing the session configuration information. Session files =
live in /usr/X11R6/etc/dm/Sessions. For example, to add a KDE session, crea=
te a file in /usr/X11R6/etc/dm/Sessions called kde.desktop. That file shoul=
d contain the following:
>=20
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=3DUTF-8
> Name=3DKDE
> Comment=3DThis session logs you into KDE
> Exec=3D/usr/local/bin/startkde
> TryExec=3D/usr/local/bin/startkde
> Icon=3D
> Type=3DApplication
>       =20
>=20
> This file must have execute permissions. For example:
>=20
> # chmod 0555 kde.desktop
>       =20
> </quote>
>=20
> After creating this file, restart GDM, and there will be a KDE link under=
 the Sessions menu.

Please don't remove the mailing list in your replies.  Are you saying
this is not working for you?  That is, you do not see the new session
name from the list of available sessions?  If so, verify you're using
the latest version of gdm2.  This works fine for me.

If, however, you're trying to change your default window manager under a
GNOME session, you need to read:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q9

Joe

--=20