Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:25:40 -0500
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@guru.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA problems (still)

Hi,

Back in October, I sent out an email with respect to problems I have been
having with my 4.7 based FreeBSD system since I swapped out the SCSI drives
for a large capacity IDE drive.  I never got much help with that request
so I am reposting with some additional information I have collected since
then.

My system is currently running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE from Dec 4.  The system is
a ASUS TUSL2-C motherboard with a Pentium III-1.133ghz.  This motherboard
has the Intel ICH2 chipset on it for the IDE controller.

I purchased a WD 180GB hard drive (2MB cache -- non-special edition):

ATA/ATAPI revision    6
device model          WDC WD1800BB-00DAA0
serial number         WD-WMACK1027562
firmware revision     63.13F63
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         268435455 sectors
lba48 supported         351651888 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      yes
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      yes
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      254/FE  128/80

At first, I attached this to the onboard ICH2-based controller and I was
seeing hard hangs about every 1-2 days that required a power-off to correct.
On the console I would see:

ad4: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
something about removing the drive from the config

then the system slowly grinded to a halt.  If I just hit the reset button
then the system will not find the hard drive on the reboot.  I have to hit
the power button to make it find the hard drive again.

The hard drive also came with a "free" ATA100 controller made by promise
that supoported the ATA6 command-set so I then tried this controller:

atapci0: <Promise TX2 ATA100 controller> port 0xb400-0xb40f,0xb800-0xb803,0xd000-0xd007,0xd400-0xd403,0xd800-0xd807 mem 0xf3800000-0xf3803fff irq 9 at device 10.0 on pci2

With this controller the system lasts longer than 1-2 days but still crashes
in the same way after about 1 week.

In the original setup (on the onboard controller) I had the hard drive on
channel 0 configured as an only drive and had an LS-120 and DVD-ROM on channel
1.  When I moved the hard drive over to the Promise PCI card, I left the
LS-120 and CD-ROM drive on the onbaord controller and moved only the hard
drive.

Next, I tried swapping out the hard drive for a another one.  This one was
a WD 200GB special edition (8MB cache):

ATA/ATAPI revision    6
device model          WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0
serial number         WD-WMACK1058547
firmware revision     63.13F63
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         268435455 sectors
lba48 supported         390721968 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      254/FE  128/80

With this drive I tried both controllers as above and got the same results.

Then i saw some thread about how bad cables could potentially contribute
to this problem so I tried three different "new" cables I had.  None of these
worked either so I went to the local computer parts store and purchased a
ATA100/ATA133 cable and that didn't work either.

So then I tried disable DMA, tags, etc:

hw.ata.ata_dma: 0
hw.ata.wc: 0
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0

This still didn't work.

I should also mention that I have two other FreeBSD boxes here with similar
configurations to this box (same mb, same processor) but use a Seagate
ATAV drive.  Both of those systems work fine.  So I'm not sure if the
problem has something to do with the WD drives or if it has something to
do with the ATA6 support (for larger than 137GB hard drives).

For reference the info on the two segate drives (both of these are configured
as master drives on chanell 0 of the onboard controller -- like wise a
LS-120 and CD-ROM/DVD-ROM are on channel 1) in their respective computers:

ATA/ATAPI revision    5
device model          ST360021A
serial number         3HR02PJF
firmware revision     3.05
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         117231408 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      65278/FEFE
automatic acoustic management  yes      yes     128/80  128/80

ATA/ATAPI revision    5
device model          ST340016A
serial number         3HS031PZ
firmware revision     3.05
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         78165360 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      65278/FEFE
automatic acoustic management  yes      yes     128/80  128/80

When I took the 180GB out of the FreeBSD box and replace it with the 200GB
drive, I put the 180GB drive in my Mac and it has been working flawlessly
over there since the middle of november.

Has anyone had any luck with large hard drives or these WD drives?  I can't
think of anything else to try.

--
Keith Mitchell
Email: kmitch@guru.org				PGP key available upon request