Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 14:52:55 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

In message <E0wRO7g-0005yV-00@rover.village.org> Warner Losh writes:
: Cool!  I didn't know for sure.  Now I do.  I'd say there is no reason
: to use ECOFF at all.

Except that the boot program needs to read an ECOFF image off the disk
in the ARC console (based on comments of others plus my experience
with ARC BIOS mips machines).  So some way of generating these ECOFF
files must exist.  Fortunately, the elf2ecoff that was written for and
used by the NetBSD/pmax project, so it shouldn't be too hard to
convert (assuming that the binutils obj-copy doesn't do the job
already).  We'll also need a working FAT file system since the ARC
console only groks FAT file systems (or iso9660).

Warner